We love taking Porkchop and Applesauce on a hike. We realize when we arrive at our destination that we forgot to bring something to make the hike better for them.
Today I want to discuss the things we should do to keep them safe and for us to have a memorable and successful hike.
Before you go on a hike here are a few things to think about.
- Is your dog ready?
- Are they fit enough?
- Are they well-behaved enough?
- How much weight can they carry?
- Young, healthy dogs can carry 25% of their weight.
- Do you have the right gear?
- Booties for their feet.
- Collapsible dog bowl for water.
During your hike
- Keep your dog on a leash.
- Avoid shared trails with mountain bikers and horses.
- Make sure they get enough calories for the amount of effort they exert.
- Clean up after them. Either bag it or bury it.
After your hike
- Look for ticks, burrs or anything else on your dog.
- Give your dog a bath to rid of anything on their fur.