Plan you trip with your dog in mind
You are going to need to find out about air fair and travel crates, if flying. If staying in a hotel, find out if they allow pets. You may want to checkout the location of the veterinarians in the area where you will be staying.
Schedule a checkup
Get your dog checked out before leaving. You are going to want to make sure all the vaccinations are up-to-date. If they take medications, you want to pack enough for the whole trip. Have a copy of their health certifications.
Multiple forms of ID
Get a new ID tag for your pooch with the correct information. Get your rabies tag and attach it to the collar.
Securing your dog
Do you have the correct travel crate? Your travel crate should have the following:
- Proper ventilation
- Large enough for the dog to stand and turn around
- Have good handles and grips
- Have a leak-proof bottom
- Be padded with comfortable mats
Getting Fido ready for car travel
- Sit in the car in the driveway with your dog
- Feed them a few meals in the car
- Drive your dog around town
- Introduce longer trips and end at a park
Question: What has been your best road trip with your dog? Please leave your comment below.